Eggplant & Pumpkin Tagine
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled, whole)
- 2 cups Japanese Pumpkin (cubed)
- 4 spring onions (sliced)
- 1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups vegetable stock (low chemical)
- 1 eggplant (cubed)
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground paprika
- STEP 1: Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place eggplant into a collander, sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for as long as possible (ideally at least half an hour). This helps to draw out the bitter juices. Rinse off the salt and place into a roasting dish.
- STEP 2: Add the pumpkin to the dish along with a drizzle of oil, and season to taste. Toss the vegetables to coat thoroughly. Roast in the oven for around 30 minutes, until well cooked.
- STEP 3: In a small tray toss the pumpkin seeds in a little olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika. Roast in the oven until crunchy (about 10 mins), stirring half way through.
- STEP 4: While the vegetables are roasting heat a few tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Sauté the spring onions until golden and soft. Add the garlic cloves and continue cooking. Add a little stock to prevent them from burning.
- STEP 5: Add the spices and continue stirring to make a paste. Add remaining stock a little at a time whilst still stirring.
- STEP 6: Place the cooked pumpkin and eggplant into a tagine if you have one, and pour the stock mixture over the top. If you don’t, add the vegetables to the frying pan and stir to combine.
- STEP 7: Mix through the chickpeas and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce reduces to your liking.
- OPTIONAL: Garnish with chopped coriander and a wedge of lemon.